Sunday, May 31, 2009

I guess I have come a long way, huh?

I must tell you, there are times when I feel I haven't accomplished anything in life. I fall prey into thoughts of the typical American Dream- if I only had a house, some kids, a decent husband, some pets, all would not be lost. I would not be living in vain. However, if you know me, you'll know that I am anything BUT typical. Besides, contrary to popular belief, now is not a good time to buy property. But that's a whole other post in and of itself.

My sister and I were driving over to New Cuyama (CA) yesterday and she very much put things into perspective for me. She mentioned how much I had done for myself, seen some things this wonderful world has to offer. She mentioned certain things that she admired about me. And let me tell you, being admired my oldest sister (on my Mom's side) means a lot to me.

Anyhow, she stated that I had done more than her and my other sister took the time or effort to do; I got involved in school, FINISHED high school, had a chance to drive a couple of new vehicles, lived on my own, attended college, took on the challenge at a young age to drive hours away from home on my own (Which by the way, I still do. I love the taking the seven-hour drive to visit my parents in Arizona on my own. It gives me time to think). She also pin-pointed that I was forced to be an individual fairly early on in life. I grew up as an only child, really. Both my sisters were well into their teens when I was born and left the house soon after. I'm thinking I was about three when they did so.

Case in point; I have to remind myself that I do have a lot to offer, that I have come a long way and done plenty for myself on my own, and that I also have so much more that I want to accomplish. Not all is lost. I am merely self-sufficient. Most importantly though, I love my sister and she admires me. And sometimes, that's all that matters.
______________

On a completely separate and random note:
I'm gonna make the effort to write on more cheerful topics. Such as...oh, I don't know. My sarcasm? Mmmm, yes.

2 comments:

  1. Eunice, you are amazing! MERELY self-sufficient? That's a huge thing, and I really respect you for it. You've done a lot in your life, and you are totally headed for a wonderful future. Right now isn't the best it will be, your work will pay off beyond what you can ever imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I ruv you! You are my bestus e-buddy! ;)

    ReplyDelete